CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Currently Cooking

This is a new recipe I found from RR that is really yummy and quite easy. Tomatillos are very in season right now, I found them at my farmer's market and I got 15 for $1.50!

Mean Green Tortilla Soup

2 c chicken stock
2 c water
3 ears of corn, kernels removed (reserve the cobs)
1 pkg. corn tortillas, cut into thin strips
3 boneless chicken breasts or thighs, cut up into bite size pieces
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, grated
2 t cumin
10-12 tomatillos, blended to a puree
3 t chopped fresh cilantro
zest and juice of 2 limes
2 cups shredded jack or Monterrey jack cheese

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a medium pot bring chicken stock, water and corn cobs to a bubble and simmer for 10 minutes. (just a note: I didn't have corn on the cob but I did have fresh corn that I'd frozen earlier in the summer. I just put a small amount of the corn kernels in the stock/water)
Place the tortilla strips on a baking sheet, spray with oil and bake for 10 minutes or until lightly brown.
Preheat a large pot with 2T EVOO. Cook chicken until juices run clear then add onion, garlic and cumin and cook until soft, 3-4 minutes. Add the corn kernels to heat through. Add stock & pureed tomatillos to vegetables and simmer 10-15 minutes. Remove from heat, add lime and cilantro.
Serve hot with corn strips and cheese on top.

0 comments: