CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, September 24, 2007

Goodbye Baby Curtis

My current (and only) students just lost their baby boy.

September 21st at 5:00 AM
Curtis Finian Collison
He weighed 2lbs. and was 17 inches long at 25 weeks gestation

I just got back from Orlando and called the mom to talk to her. She had been very sick the week before last with flu-like symptoms for 8 days and then last week out of no where she came down with it again. (BTW, she did visit the ER a couple of times when she was really sick the first time but they couldn't determine what was wrong) The midwives and doctors at Providence were testing her blood, etc. and couldn't really find anything wrong. They knew she had some sort of infection but couldn't figure out where. They monitored the baby and he was doing fine so they decided to move her to L&D to monitor the baby more thoroughly. When they got her on the next monitor they couldn't find a heart beat.

She labored like a trooper according to her husband and she told me the classes really helped her, even in this awful situation. She was still really sick too and was laboring with flu-like symptoms, I totally giver her props for that!

They just got the blood work back from Thursday and it turns out she was infected with listeria bacteria. I never knew that you could kill your baby if you happened to get this bacteria in your system. The docs told her she could have eaten something with the bacteria in it a few months ago so there's no way of knowing where it came from. And SHE had a 30% chance of dying from it too. I guess you can get listeria bacteria from produce, leftovers that have been in the fridge too long, or even from something that has been sitting around a restaurant for too long.

I don't think I'm going to be able to eat for a while because that's so disgusting.

The last three days have been so crappy that I'm ready to just lay in bed and sleep for the next three days.

2 comments:

Jos said...

D, I am so sorry to hear about the loss and your terrible 3 days! Praying for you...

Sarah said...

hey - tell her to call me if it would help, okay?